32 reasons you know you're from Basingstoke
AMAZINGSTOKE or Boringstoke – opinion is often divided when it comes to Basingstoke. Those who don’t live here might think the many roundabouts are the only aspect that makes it unique – something top comedians visiting The Anvil always make a joke about. However, anyone who comes from Basingstoke will know there’s more to life here than navigating your way around the one-way system.
Here’s a list of reasons you definitely know you come from Basingstoke. Let us know if there’s anything we’ve missed. 1.
Anyone you ever meet from the town knows someone who knows you. Fact. Be careful what you say!
2. You’ve arranged to meet someone “by the willy” without any hint of irony or humour 3. You turn supermarket names into a plural – Tescos, Asdas, Aldis.
It’s definitely a Basingstoke thing, but why? 4.
You know how to pronounce Chineham. Chin-um not Chine-ham!
5. If you get asked in a pub quiz where Burberry originated, you 100% know the answer and are super proud of this 6. You omit Basingstoke from your address, instead telling people you’re from Hampshire
7. You, or someone you know, got stuck on the A339 during the snow chaos of 2009 8.
You know we don’t actually have an art college 9. You don’t time keep by the railway station clock, and if you do then that’s why you always miss your train (or bus)
10. You’ve snickered at the hospital’s automated phone call-back system when it refers to Basingstoke hospital (Baz-ing-stoke)
11. You’re still trying to decide what to have for lunch from Potter’s Walk food court 12. Pack Lane humps? You’ve mastered them.
They are centred nicely down the middle of your car every time, and you shake your head in disapproval at anyone who slows down to 10mph to go over them 13. You’ve seen the actual Father Christmas.
Down your road, sat on the back of a truck, waving, and pumping out festive tunes 14. The summer holidays don’t officially start until you’ve got a pedalo out on Eastrop pond
15. If you went to QMC, you were called Doris if you were female, and something much ruder if you were male!
16. You’ve spotted former Gladiator Falcon in Festival Place 17. You’ve lost count of the number of Gregg’s we have, even though you’ve been to them all
18. Dr Hilary has diagnosed at least one of your ailments
19. You’ve appeared in The Gazette at least once 20.
You’ve queued up to meet a celebrity at Waterstones – From Katie Price and Jamie Oliver to Mary Berry and David Attenborough 21. You have also seen various ‘celebrities’ at night clubs, including the entire cast of Love Island to date (that’s a slight exaggeration) famous faces from TOWIE and Jedward
23. You remember when scrabbling on the pavement for a penny sweet while watching people dance on floats in fancy dress was the highlight of the year
24. Jumping out of your skin when walking up the stairs in the Willis Museum happens Every. Single. Time
25. There ain’t no spider as big as a Basingstoke spider. Of that you are certain.
Look out! 26. Knowing that the Sports Centre isn’t just about sport.
Hands up who’s been to a disco there? 27. Trying to exit Festival Place car park is better than Crystal Maze.
It’s been done on purpose to make it a fun challenge, right? 28. You would never, ever visit the Lime Pits after dark
29. You know someone who knows someone who knows Liz Hurley’s mum
30. You’ve had a nightmare about Mrs Blunden 31. You reminisce about the ‘good old days’ when Basingstoke had a host of free events: the carnival, Balloons over Basingstoke, Jammin’ in June
32. You’ve noticed that number 22 is missing on this list and have already drafted your letter of complaint to the editor
- Electric Outdoor Garden Patio Heater, 2000w Electric Quartz Free Standing...
SALE PRICE: £82.00YOU SAVE: £17.99 This Electric Garden Patio Heater is a must have for your garden/outdoor setting. With 3 different heat […]
- Halloween Christmas Projector Lights Outdoor Indoor, Jane Choi Waterproof LED...
SALE PRICE: £33.99YOU SAVE: £2.00 About this item This fits your . by entering your model number. 【16 Switchable Slides & 10 Ocean Wave […]