Coronavirus live news: Taiwan reports first death since May; Coachella cancelled again
- 8.13am GMT08:13Stop vaccinations after health workers and vulnerable, WHO says
- 7.04am GMT07:04Taiwan reports first death since May
- 6.14am GMT06:14Pets may need to be vaccinated, experts say
- 4.14am GMT04:14Australia’s acting chief medical officer says vaccine shipments on target
- 3.38am GMT03:38Virus fragments found in three more Victorian towns
- 2.40am GMT02:40Victoria records no community cases but one in hotel quarantine
- 2.06am GMT02:06Western Australia reopens borders to Queensland and Victoria
8.30am GMT08:30 Sir John Bell, part of the team who developed the Oxford/AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine, has suggested that French president Emanuel Macron was trying to lower demand for the vaccine when he claimed it was “quasi-ineffective” in people over the age of 65.
“I’m not sure where he got that from,” Bell said on BBC Radio 4’s Today Programme. While Bell acknowledged that the study had only trialed the vaccine on small numbers of elderly people, he said that the data “still pointed toward a very highly effective vaccine”.