Prince Philip: William says grandfather ‘OK’ as he spends sixth night in hospital
Prince William has said his grandfather is “OK”, after the Duke of Edinburgh spent a sixth night in hospital. Buckingham Palace said there was no update on the 99-year-old’s condition, having previously said he was “in good spirits”. The reason for Philip‘s stay has not been disclosed, although it is not linked to coronavirus.
He was admitted last Tuesday “as a precautionary measure” after feeling unwell. When asked about his grandfather’s health while visiting a Covid-19 vaccination centre in Norfolk on Monday, William gave a reassuring wink and said he was “OK”. “They’re keeping an eye on him,” the Duke of Cambridge added.
Charles made a 200-mile round-trip from his home in Highgrove, Gloucestershire, on Saturday afternoon. The Prince of Wales was the first member of the royal family to visit the duke and it is understood that his visit was due to his father’s extended stay. A royal source previously said Philip was likely to remain in hospital into the coming week for “observation and rest”, adding the doctor was “acting with an abundance of caution”.
Philip has suffered from several health problems over the years, including a blocked coronary artery and a bladder infection.
He spent four nights in hospital in December 2019, when he was treated for a “pre-existing condition”.
Additional reporting by Press Association