HGV knocks over lamp post trying U-turn to avoid Bath traffic

A giant HGV knocked over a lamp post on Sydney Place trying to turn away from Cleveland Bridge traffic in Bath yesterday (Monday, May 10). Structurally weak Cleveland Bridge currently has one lane of traffic closed while scaffolding is being erected before major structural works starts on May 31, and delays have been reported in the area. Motorists have already been advised about diversion routes ahead of the essential engineering works, which are expected to cost GBP3.8 million and take seven months to complete.

A HGV reportedly wanting to avoid traffic around the Cleveland Bridge area came a cropper with a lamp post while trying to turn around. Local resident Evan Rudowski saw the HGV knock over a street light, which had signs warning drivers of the bridge works and diversions on it. Looking for Bath’s top stories in one place? Sign up for our newsletter here.

He said: “Giant HGV just knocked over streetlight on Sydney Place trying to turn away from Cleveland Bridge traffic. @CllrMandaRigby” Mr Rudowski said to Bath Live: “This driver made a poor decision trying to execute an illegal three-point turn on Sydney Place. “However, overall we’re going to continue to see this kind of traffic and congestion all along the A36 for months to come.

“And the traffic will actually get worse once the bridge works are completed. We’ll be back to nearly 1,000 lorries per day across the bridge.” He added: “That’s about 10 percent of the volume passing through the Port of Dover, rumbling through what is essentially a residential area.

“It just illustrates how important it is for our elected officials to continue the work to divert the Primary Route Network away from the bridge permanently.”

Councillor Manda Rigby, Bath and North East Somerset Councils cabinet member for transport services said: “Thanks for this Evan, and for reporting it direct to Council Connect. “I’m really grateful no one was injured. I’ll be talking with officers later this afternoon.”

An 18-tonne weight limit for the structure was introduced in February last year after concerns were raised about the damage being done to the bridge by HGVs.

However several lorries a day continued to use the route and were regularly snapped breaching the weight limit.