Jobs that can rival £54k lorry drivers and plumbers on £150k
Salaries of up to GBP53,780 are being offered to truckers by supermarket chain Waitrose and it’s currently one of the most well-rewarded jobs currently available. The bumper wage means its lorry drivers are better paid than secondary school teachers (GBP40,880), solicitors (GBP43,190) and architects (GBP42,930), according to reports. Waitrose also offers “a vast range of benefits and a healthy work-life balance” with perks including discounted holidays and access to a private members club, reports The Mirror.
And it isn’t the only supermarket offering increased salaries and starting bonuses to entice new drivers. Tesco and Iceland have increased salaries by up to 25 per cent and offering sign up bonuses of at least GBP1,000. M&S also has a sign on incentive of GBP2,000.
More HGV drivers are needed (Image: PA)
James Clifford, boss of driver training outfit HGTV, said new recruits could make up to GBP60,000 a year amid a national shortfall of around 100,000 truckers caused by a mixture of the coronavirus pandemic and post-EU Brexit rules.
The issues have seen supermarket shelves stripped bare, while restaurant chains like McDonald’s and KFC have been forced to take some items off the menu. Meanwhile, London-based Pimlico Plumbers said it is looking for 50 skilled engineers – and says they could earn up to GBP150,000. The company said its phones have been ringing “red hot” as work that had previously put on pause during the pandemic can finally go ahead.
Pimlico engineers can earn GBP120 an hour on weekdays, with the rate climbing to GBP200 for late-night jobs. The firm said GBP150,000 was a “realistic figure” for salaries claiming its highest earners were making more than GBP200,000 a year before the pandemic. Other jobs that can be well-rewarded
List was complied by job site Glassdoor in March 2021.
- Videographer – GBP18,000 to GBP32,000 per year
- Travel Agent – GBP14,000 to GBP32,000 per year
- Interior Designer – GBP20,000 to GBP44,000 per year
- Pastry Chef – GBP25,000 to GBP38,000 per year
- Software Engineer – GBP35,000 to GBP90,000 per year
- Marketing Specialist – GBP23,000 to GBP54,000 per year
- Graphic Designer – GBP22,000 to GBP40,000 per year
- Event Planner – GBP20,000 to GBP43,000 per year
- Flight Attendant – GBP12,000 to GBP30,000 per year
- Freelance Writer – GBP13,000 to GBP85,000 per year
For more stories from where you live, visit InYourArea.