Driver’s horror as lorry rushes off 330ft cliff and dangles for three days

A driver had a narrow escape when his lorry rushed off a narrow highway and dangled over a 300ft cliff. Dramatic video taken on January 1 by a local tour guid, Mr Wu, shows the heavy goods vehicle getting stuck at a turn on the dangerous cliffside highway along the edge of a mountain in north China. The tractor head is seen veering off the road and dangling over a hanging wall measuring 100 metres (330ft) high.

Luckily the driver was rescued and found unharmed from the incident. Mr Wu, who was following behind the lorry at the time, told local media that the driver took a shortcut using the satellite navigation.

The front of the lorry veered off the road and left dangling off the cliffside

“This highway has a restriction where the maximum width of any vehicles should not exceed 6.8 metres,” he said. “It’s been snowing the past few days and the lorry slipped out of the road when he took a turn and now it gets stuck, blocking the traffic completely.”

Due to the difficulty of the cliffside road, towing service struggled to remove the lorry and it stayed dangling over the cliff for three days.

Driver's horror as lorry rushes off 330ft cliff and dangles for three daysThe lorry was left dangling over the highway for three days until rescuers used three towing trucks to pull it back on the road

On January 4, local authorities called three towing trucks to yank the HGV back on the road. The technicians had to cut the lorry in half in order to tow it off the highway. Viewers were stunned and praised the driver for getting out of the vehicle unscathed.

One said: “I’m shaking my legs while watching the video. I can’t imagine what the driver was feeling. He’s lucky to be alive.”

Driver's horror as lorry rushes off 330ft cliff and dangles for three daysThe driver made it out of the lorry unscathed

A second commented: “My heart skipped a beat!

Thanks for the rescuers’ hard work to pull the lorry back onto the road.” Some blasted the driver for taking shortcuts, with a viewer wrote: “This could end up in a serious disaster had he not taken the shortcut.” The road was shut for three days and reopened on January 4.

For more stories from the Daily Star, sign up to one of our newsletters here.