Warning over how to tell cannabis-laced sweets from real thing

Police have been showing young children the difference between sweets laced with cannabis and their innocent counterpart after the death of a young woman in London. Damilola Olakanmi, 23, from Ilford, London was taken to hospital after she fell ill from consuming cannabis ‘gummies’ with her friend late last month. She sadly passed away in her hospital bed.

Damilola ate a brand called ‘Trrlli Peachie O’s’, which she bought through a messaging app. Last year two teenage boys from Merseyside were hospitalised after eating similar sweets suspected to contain cannabis. : ‘Barksy’ transforms Merseyside town with adorable pup street art

Justice campaigner and relative Richard Taylor, 75, issued a heartbreaking statement after Damilola’s mum Wumi kept a bedside vigil during her daughter’s fight in hospital. He said: “Wumi has lost her only child – she has nothing now. They had to hold her up because she broke down every time a friend came to the house to give support.

Police have been warning children since Damilola Olakanmi tragically lost her life

“It’s a tragic warning to all young people about how they live their lives.

They should resist drugs.” So how can young children tell the difference? There are key differences between normal gummies and cannabis-infused sweets such as the way the packaging looks and the spelling on them.

Dairy Milk bars, for example, are sometimes changed to ‘Danky Milk’ while Sour Patch sweets have been changed in some cases to ‘Stoney Patch’. Police have visited Boundary Primary in Blackpool to teach 10 and 11-year-old-students about the risks of the drug. The parents of children at Farringdon Community Academy in Sunderland were told they “look like normal packets of sweets but may have odd spellings and different fonts”.

Some drug dealers have been hiding cannabis in gummy sweets like Haribo, Nerds and Millions. It has led some schools to ban the sweets altogether as dealers lace the treats with synthetic cannabis, also known as ‘spice’. Spice can cause paranoia, hallucinations and even death.

Of Damilola’s passing, family member Dunnie spoke of the tragic loss caused by the drug sweets. They said: “She was very kind and loved looking after children and wanted to please everyone. The family will never come to terms with this.

We need to know what happened. Her mother is not young anymore.” Northumbria Police has reported that the sweets are being sold for as little as GBP5.50 on the messenger app Snapchat.

Chief Superintendent Stuart Bell of the Met’s East Area BCU said: “I must warn the public against taking any illegal substances, including those packaged in the form of cannabis sweets. “Please do not buy or consume these products. They are illegal and, because of the child-friendly packaging, they can pose a risk of accidental consumption.

“The particular batch of sweets were contained in packaging featuring ‘Trrlli Peachie O’s’ branding.

It has not been confirmed at this stage where the sweets were manufactured.”