Rupert

Man jailed for Beck Row machete attack

Man jailed at Ipswich Crown Court after machete attack Picture: CHARLOTTE BOND

Man jailed at Ipswich Crown Court after machete attack Picture: CHARLOTTE BOND

Charlotte Bond

A Suffolk man who left a man with devastating injuries to one of his hands after attacking him with a machete outside a convenience store has been jailed for seven years and four months.

Jailing 28-year-old Wesley Temple, Judge Rupert Overbury described the attack as “cowardly”.

He said Temple had raised the long bladed knife over his head and had sliced it into 33-year-old Sammie Muntford’s hand when he put his arms up to protect his head.

“You inflicted the most terrible injury to his hand slicing through his hand, severing tendons and arteries,” said the judge.

He described the injury as severe and life changing.

Temple, of Willow Park, Beck Row admitted wounding Mr Muntford with intent to cause him grievous bodily harm outside the Londis Village Store, in Holmsey Green on August 6.

Christabel McCooey, prosecuting, said the incident started when a woman came out of the Londis store and found her car was blocked in by Temple’s truck.

She asked Temple, who was with another man, to move the vehicle but they refused and shouted abuse at her.

The woman called her husband and he arrived at the shop with his neighbour, Mr Muntford and confronted Temple and his companion.

You may also want to watch:

They denied shouting at the woman and when the husband said he was going to call the police the man with Temple punched him in the face.

The same man had then thrown a full can of drink towards the woman’s husband and was restrained in a headlock by Mr Muntford.

Temple had then gone to his truck and returned with a machete which he raised above his head before striking Mr Muntford.

Temple and his companion had then driven off.

In a victim impact statement Mr Muntford described the devastating impact the injury to his hand had had on his life and said he didn’t know if he would ever regain 100% use of it.

Eleanor Lucas for Temple said her client hadn’t punched Mr Muntford before inflicting the single blow with the knife.

She said he had been concerned for his friend who was being held in a headlock by Mr Muntford.

“It was a moment of madness committed on impulse,” said Miss Lucas.

She told the court that Temple had attacked Mr Muntford with a saw and not a machete.

She said that while he was in custody Temple was determined to address the issues which had brought him before the court.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Suspended sentence for teen driver who caused smash on Suffolk road

Jessica Debenham appeared at Ipswich Crown Court Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN

Jessica Debenham appeared at Ipswich Crown Court Picture: SARAH LUCY BROWN

Archant

A teenager has avoided being locked up for causing a crash resulting from her ‘catastrophic’ decision to overtake traffic on a country road.

One witness assumed Jessica Debenham must have been killed in a head-on collision between her Volkswagen Golf and an Adnams brewery lorry earlier this year.

Debenham, of Darby Road, Beccles, was handed a suspended custodial sentence and ordered to carry out unpaid work at Ipswich Crown Court on Thursday.

The 19-year-old had earlier admitted driving dangerously, on her way to work as a community carer, at 6.40am on January 29.

Another driver had been travelling at 40mph behind a Co-op lorry, on the A145 at Brampton, when her vehicle “broke off about two or three car lengths behind” and crossed solid white lines to overtake at speed.

Prosecutor Simon Gladwell said Debenham then tried to overtake the Co-op lorry but collided with another truck travelling in the opposite direction.

“Fortunately, the Co-op lorry braked. Otherwise, it could have been a lot worse,” he added.

The impact caused the Adnams lorry to turn into the side of the Co-op lorry and collide with the front of the following car.

The uninjured car driver forced open the door of the VW Golf to be met by “deafeningly loud music” and Debenham unconscious at the wheel.

The driver of the Adnams lorry suffered spinal ligament damage and whiplash, while his passenger was left with damaged neck, back and shoulder muscles.

Steven Dyble, mitigating, said Debenham had admitted from the outset that her driving fell well below the expected standard, adding: “It was a catastrophically bad decision to overtake at that location.”

Judge Rupert Overbury told Debenham: “Why you were overtaking on double white lines, on a bend, may have been down to immaturity, inexperience, or wanting to get to work quickly. Whatever the reason, it was a catastrophically bad decision.”

Judge Overbury said the collision must have been terrifying for those involved, adding: “Even more terrifying, would have been seeing you unconscious and thinking you were dead.”

Debenham was handed four months’ detention, suspended for 18 months, with 120 hours of unpaid work. She was also banned from driving for 18 months.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Trucker denies knowingly importing 146 kilos of drugs into Harwich

02 July, 2020 – 07:30

Ipswich Crown Court Picture: ARCHANT

Ipswich Crown Court Picture: ARCHANT

A lorry driver is set to go on trial in Ipswich later this year accused of trying to smuggle heroin and cocaine worth

millions of pounds into the UK through Harwich International Port.

Marcin Jadasz denies two counts of being knowingly concerned in the fraudulent evasion of prohibition on the importation of controlled drugs.

The 43-year-old, of Nysa in Poland, appeared at Ipswich Crown Court via video link from Chelmsford prison on Wednesday for a plea and trial preparation hearing.

Judge Rupert Overbury said Jadasz faced charges in relation to the importation of 146 kilos of drugs.

They were discovered in a trailer by Essex Police and Border Force officers at the port on June 1. It is understood the lorry had arrived from Holland.

The trial is expected to last four to five days and is fixed to begin on November 9.

Jadasz was remanded in custody.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the East Anglian Daily Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.